Safe Environment Requirements
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s leadership has been hard at work making changes to the Child Protective Services Law. Some of these changes have included expanding the definition of child abuse, updating the mandated reporting laws, requiring clearances for all employees and volunteers who come into contact with children, and changing the time frame for which clearances are valid. As of December 31, 2014, these laws were put into effect.
Here at St Joseph Church we are in the process of acquiring all necessary clearances needed by our volunteers. These clearances are needed for everyone in the parish, 14 and over who have ANY contact with children. This includes all clergy, as well as all parish employees. Volunteers who have any possible contact with children must also obtain background checks. All forms should be submitted to the Parish Office.
Required Background Checks
PA State Police Criminal Record Check
- It is free to all volunteers
- Must be updated every 5 years.
- This background check can be obtained online.
- Please go to this website, PA State Police Criminal Record Check, to obtain your clearance immediately online.
PA Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse Clearance Check
- This clearance is free to all volunteers
- This clearance must be updated every 5 years.
- Applicants will receive their results more quickly if they submit via online
- Print out their results and attach a copy of the results to the PA State Police Criminal Record Check
- Please go to this website, PA Child Abuse Clearance Check.
- Please note that this website takes you into a Child Welfare Portal. If you have never logged in before, you’ll need to create an “Individual Login”. It will then re-direct you to login with your new login information.
Of the Following two only one applies to you:(Must be updated every 5 years)
Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance
As of April, 2007, the state of PA requires all new employees to have a Federal background check. For those volunteers who have lived in PA less than 10 years you can go to this website – Fingerprint Clearance and use one of the following codes:
- For all current and/or prospective parish and other staff/volunteers
- 1KG738 for Child Care Services/Program Employee and/or Contractors 18 and over.
- 1KG756 for Employees 14-17 year olds that have contact with children
- 1KG6ZJ for Volunteers.
- If you don’t fall under any of the above categories you will need to contact (DHS) Department of Human Services to determine the appropriate code you should use at 717-783-6211.
For those who have lived in PA continuously for 10 years please print and sign this
disclosure statement volunteers.
Archdiocesan Safe Environment Training (Link)
Safe Environment Part I: Protecting God’s Children (Classroom Component)
This child abuse and prevention class is offered throughout the archdiocese. It is a One-time, no-fee, 3-hr training session held at parishes throughout the archdiocese. To find the next available parish location follow this link – Virtusonline
Safe Environment Part II: Mandated Reporter (Online Ccomponent)
Safe Environment Part II: Mandatory Reported of Suspected Child Abuse must be completed on-line through the OCYP website at learning.childyouthprotection.org This is one-time only, no fee.